Yay or Nay? Your Name (Movie/Manga)




Don't you love the feeling when you're about to experience something you just know you're gonna love? And then, not only do you love it, but you relish in the fact that it perfectly satisfied your expectations as well. Your Name not only satisfied my wants, it exceeded my expectations in every way.



I read the first volume of the manga (Vol 2 is also out already, but Vol 3 is not yet published in English) and watched the entire film. And it was an amazing experience. I will mostly focus on the movie in the review, since I didn't read the entirety of the manga. The story is not much different between the two mediums though.


The plot revolves around two teenagers who start switching bodies randomly, causing unexpected disruptions in their lives. And that's all I'm gonna say! It's best to know as little as possible about this story to be honest. Just see for yourselves :-)

I was overwhelmed with feelings. I felt everything. And I'm basically a cyborg when it comes to other films usually. So this is fucking huge for me!!!!



First of all, every thread of the story seemed to be tied together perfectly and masterfully thought out. Just like the threads of destiny that guide our lives… and here I am getting weepy and philosophical. Get yourself together Olga! But I can't help it when every detail fits so well. Old family customs, science fiction, modern life, love, freedom are all themes that seem so different and yet they all form this wonderful story and coexist harmoniously. And I literally screamed at one point!!! I almost couldn't handle a certain turn that the story took. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about!

The characters were wonderful and realistic. I loved getting to know them as they got to know each other. I wanted the best for them. That's rare for me, usually I want some shit to happen for my entertainment.



And the final thing that really topped of all of the wonderfulness of the story, were the lovely animations and the soundtrack. I could go on and on, but take a look yourselves:



SUCH A BIG MOTHERFUCKING YAY! Stop reading and go experience this now :-)

~Olga

Comments

Popular Posts